Monday, February 20, 2012

In The Beginning ...

I have a delightful job wherein I get to meet many wonderful and interesting people. And often times, their life journey mirrors my own in a way. Seems many folks start tent camping, then move up into a pickup camper or camp trailer. Some then go further and get a motor home or 5th wheel trailer. And then us really crazy ones start wondering how we can work it out so we stay on the road and don’t have to ‘go home’.

A couple months ago, I saw a commercial on TV featuring a motor home made out of Legos that triggered a childhood memory. I started searching the internet, and was delighted to find this 1970 Barbie Country Camper. I once was a proud owner of one of these! Now I wonder if this is where my nomadic journey really began.

I can only guess at what kinds of adventures my Barbie dolls enjoyed in their coach. There were yellow plastic sleeping bags, and little folding yellow and orange camp stools. The driver’s side of the vehicle opened into a pop-out tent, and the rear was a fold out kitchen. Wow, a “slide out” in 1970! I don’t even have a slide-out in my current motor home.
My parents had a camper that went on our truck, and we would sometimes travel back to New Jersey to visit our family there. I loved lying on the top bunk, looking out the big front window, watching the landscape unfold. I should decline to mention my mother’s stories about shutting my brother and I in the back so they didn’t have to listen to our childhood arguments, but those are part of family journeys too.  I also cherish memories of my Poppop’s pickup camper, parked down in his barn, where my cousin and I spent hours inside playing games and imagining adventures.
I thank my family, friends, and dear readers who are currently sharing my journey.  I’ll keep sharing stories, ideas, tips, and probably even trials as this unfolds.  But for now, it’s time to me to go reminisce of my days with my Barbie camper. See ya down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment