Sunday, September 20, 2009

Autumn Rain


I awakened to the sound of rain tapping out a wet melody upon my roof this morning. It has turned out to be a very gray kind of day. And chilly. We have enjoyed a lovely “Indian Summer” in Colorado this year, but I know it can’t stay that way forever. Maybe this is the beginning of the end. The real end of summer. We had a “freeze warning” issued for last night, but I had already brought in the plants I wanted to save from the deck.

The trees in our area are just starting their transformation into their fall foliage, however the higher mountains are awash in glorious autumn colors. Red, gold, orange, yellow … all look beautiful against the faded grass and dark green conifers.

One week ago I was attending a conference in Buena Vista, CO. It was a beautiful place, nestled among a string of mountain peaks that we call “14ers”, meaning they are over 14,000 feet. Last Sunday there was a fresh dusting of snow upon those peaks, leaving them looking like God had sprinkled them with powdered sugar.

I know that God will soon decorate the mountains surrounding my valley similarly. And as usual, being a “stranded beach bunny”, I will mourn summer’s passing. So for today, I will enjoy this autumn rain. I will focus on the fact that is it bringing much needed moisture to our lawns and pastures, and lessening the wildfire risk. I will choose to enjoy this season, this day in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment