Saturday, September 5, 2009

Green Thumb

I am blessed with a green thumb when it comes to plants. I guess it’s in the genes. After all, I am from the Garden State. My Poppop was an avid gardener, and I remember plants on their windowsills. My Mom had one of the largest gardens around while I was growing up. Despite the trials of a short Colorado growing season, she continues to raise all sorts of yummy vegetables, but she claims that houseplants don’t like her.

Ever since I married and started my own home, I have grown lots of houseplants. I delight in God’s creativity with leaf sizes, shapes, and colors. Every type of plant has its own “personality”; some like lots of light, others not-so-much. Some prefer to be kept high and dry, others desire to have their “feet wet”.

I even remember where most of them came from. Some were gifts. A few were bought to add to my collection. Most were obtained as “babies”; snippets of plant parts that were carefully cultivated to grow. And now, some are “children” or “grandchildren” of plants I’ve had in the past.

I have a special fixation with palm trees and tropical plants, keeping Hibiscus, Bougainvillea, Croton, Mandevilla, and Brugmansia (Angel’s Trumpet). My thumb is more brown when it comes to actual palms, so I compensate by owning several silk palm trees. I DO, however, have one real live Fan Palm in my kitchen. This one seems to like me, and is quickly outgrowing my home.

But I love it. I love ‘em all. Luckily, my husband has grown to love them too. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment