Sunday, September 6, 2009

In the Palm of His Hand

Awhile ago I had oral surgery. Never a pleasant proposition. When the day came to go to the surgeon’s office, I was really nervous.

I visited their restroom, and noticed their wallpaper was a palm tree print. I smiled and told God “Very funny. What a sense of humor You have.” In the waiting area, I couldn’t concentrate on the magazine I’d picked up so I looked around. The office décor was an upscale tropical theme. I saw a palm tree shaped pillow on a palm tree printed sofa. “Ha ha God, very funny again!” When I met the oral surgeon before the procedure, I couldn’t believe it … his scrubs had palm trees all over the shirt!


If you don’t know me, this doesn’t seem profound. Just coincidence, you might say. But for me, palm trees represent life - everything warm, wonderful and tropical. I have them all around my house. Large silk ones, palm tree artwork, a real cabbage palm in my kitchen, refrigerator magnets, even a palm tree clock! Ditto for my online computer persona … my web pages always have palm trees somewhere. Even my cell phone cover photo features a palm tree.


I was overwhelmed that God would reassure me through some guy’s choice of office décor. I chose this surgeon through his good reputation, not for his decorating expertise. But my loving Heavenly Father knows me so well … He cared enough to send me the very best, just like a Hallmark greeting card.

Was I still scared? Yes. But I endured it, knowing that my God loved me enough to guide me to an office with palm trees, and that He would care enough about me to get me through the surgery and recuperation.


I’m in the PALM of His hand! Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment